Weekly Food Item: Eggplant
Why it was selected: Sliced eggplant can be an amazing alternative for pasta when making lasagna. Eggplant is one of those foods that is multifunctional and can be used for many different recipes. Especially for athletes it can be good as it reduces oxidative stress and reduces cellular damage from the increased stress of chronic workouts. Be sure to eat the skin of the eggplant as it has been shown to contain many phytonutrients which act as a powerful antioxidant.
1) Preheat the oven to broil
2) Slice eggplant using a mandoline (ordered off Amazon)
3) Line baking sheet with coconut oil, salt, and peppers.
4) Spread the eggplant a single layer
5) Drizzle olive oil over the eggplant with some more salt and pepper
6) Broil for 4 minutes then flip the eggplant
7) Take out and if wanted, place chopped parsley on eggplant.